Daniel Vincent is the proud owner, operator, designer, developer, and lead coffee brewer at LightPress. Professional skills include, but are not limited to:
- Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, etc)
- HTML, CSS, & some JQUERY/JAVA
- Squarespace, WordPress, and hand-coded HTML.
- Project management, full service branding for websites, social media, email & print.
Late Nights With Photoshop
My web development career began as a junior in high school. I had sweet-talked my folks into a screeching dial-up modem, an AOL account, and a borrowed version of Photoshop.
Typing classes at my high school started with "how to change the ink ribbon", and the computer lab machines were running DOS. I realized early-on that to stay ahead of the curve, I would need to learn how to teach myself.
Adventures In Publishing
In addition to my studies at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, I expanded my education through various creative projects, books, online tutorials, and small freelance jobs. Itching to get out in the workforce, I built a portfolio of solid design work, and was hired on at a local newspaper.
(The Homesteader in Framingham MA)
I was 21 years old. It was the late nineties, and they were still using antiquated hot-wax rollers to paste advertisements to the printboards.
It was an old-school operation, but the people were lovely, and it was an education in marketing, real print production, and frantic deadlines.
The DotCom Days
I was hired as the Lead Graphic Designer & Art Director for a software company. (the now defunct BangZoom Software) We produced programs for collectors of model trains, vinyl records, and firearms.
Yes...people out there have gun collections large enough to require software. Scary...
he Project Director was a mad scientist. The Ukrainian programmers spoke little to no English. We worked 60 hour weeks more often than not. I learned how to write HTML & CSS on the fly because someone had to. I wore a lot of hats, and I learned so much.
I have travelled far & wide, and lived through some amazing experiences. Here are some highlights:
- Moved to the coastal rain forests of Oregon to learn glassblowing.
- Lived & worked in Maui, Hawaii for a glorious year.
- Worked as a Licensed Massage Therapist at a cool Japanese spa (East Heaven in Northampton, MA.)
- And eventually... Found my way to Asheville, North Carolina, and am here to stay.
- Currently serving small businesses as a designer & developer of beautiful, functional, websites, from 2008 to present.